Neidio i’r llywio Neidio i’r cynnwys Neidio i’r troedyn

Getting help from a motor trade association

Mae’r cyngor hwn yn berthnasol i Cymru

If you’ve got a problem with your car, for example a fault or a bad repair, the first step is to speak to the garage or dealership responsible. If you can’t get it sorted out with them directly, a trade association could help as long as the garage or dealership is a member.

A trade association will have both:

  • a code of practice that the garage or dealership has to stick to, or they’ll cancel their membership
  • a conciliation or arbitration service - these act as a go-between to help you and the garage or dealership to sort the problem out

Find out if your garage or dealership is a member of a trade association

To find out you could:

  • ask them directly
  • see if they have a trade association logo on their paperwork or in an office window
  • contact the trade associations and ask them if the garage or dealership is a member - most will have a search facility on their website

Trade associations’ contact details

Motor Ombudsman logo

Motor Ombudsman
Telephone: 0345 241 3008 (option 1)
Open 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday excluding bank holidays.

Retail Motor Industry Federation company logoRetail Motor Industry Federation
Telephone: 0845 305 4230

Motor Cycle Industry Association company logoMotor Cycle Industry Association
Telephone: 02476 408000

Scotland Motor Trade Association company logoScotland Motor Trade Association
Telephone: 0131 331 5510

If they’re a member

If the garage or dealership is a member, contact the trade association and explain your situation. They should be able to explain their code of practice and what you can do about your problem. 

A oedd y cyngor hwn yn fuddiol?
Pam nad oedd y cyngor yn fuddiol?

Dywedwch fwy wrthym am pam nad oedd ein cyngor yn helpu.

A oedd y cyngor hwn yn fuddiol?

Diolch i chi, cyflwynwyd eich adborth.

UAT (Release)