Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Action your creditor can take

If you've stopped repaying your debts, a creditor may try to take you to court to order you to pay back the money you owe.

The following pages explain the different ways you can be ordered to pay back the money, including how to prepare for going to court and how to stop a court order or get it changed. They also tell you how your creditor should behave towards you and what you can do if you think they're harassing you.


Find out how to deal with bailiffs and complain if you’ve been mistreated.

If you're being taken to court for debt

Find out what to do if you’ve received a letter about a debt.

Changing a court order for debt

Information about changing or cancelling county court judgments (CCJ).

How a creditor can get information about your finances

Information on what an order to obtain information is and what happens if a creditor obtains one to force you to reveal your financial situation.

Creditor takes money from your bank account

Information on third party debt orders to take money owed to you to pay creditors, how they affect your bank account and what to do if a frozen bank account leads to hardship.

If a creditor takes money from your wages

Information on attachment of earnings orders used to take money from your wages to pay back money owed to creditors.

Charging orders

Information about what you can do if a creditor applies for a charging order against your property.

Harassment by creditors

How creditors are supposed to behave when they are trying to recover their money, what kind of behaviour is not acceptable and how to tell if you are being harassed.

UAT (Release)