Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Getting help

This section tells you where to get help if you’re a child or a young person who is being abused, or you’re concerned that a child is being abused. There is also help available if you are an adult who was abused as a child, or if you’re someone who’s been accused, rightly or wrongly, of child abuse.

There are lots of organisations that can give confidential help in these situations. These pages explain when normal confidentiality rules can be broken, if a child is in danger.


Explains how organisations may not be able to guarantee that information is kept confidential if you report concerns about child abuse, if they have to take action to protect a child at risk of harm.

You're being abused

How to get help if you are a child suffering abuse or neglect, by contacting specialist organisations, the police, or local authority. Also covers legal advice, counselling and medical help.

Concerned a child is being abused

What to do if you are concerned that a child is being abused directly, or via the internet or social media. Covers who to report the abuse to and the importance of getting advice and support.

You were abused as a child

How to get help if you’re suffering the effects of being abused as a child, including getting emotional support, reporting the abuse to the police and claiming compensation.

Abuse in local authority care

Explains what to do if a child is being abused in local authority care, including children's homes, residential schools or foster care. Also gives information for adults who were abused while in care.

Accused of child abuse

What to do if you are accused of abusing or neglecting a child, including the importance of seeking legal advice.

UAT (Release)