Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Sorting out money

Arranging financial support after you separate

If you're married or in a civil partnership, you can apply for financial support (‘spousal maintenance’) from your ex when you separate. Find out more about what you can get or need to pay.

Help with legal fees when you separate

Legal help or going to court when you split from your partner can be expensive. Find out about legal aid and other ways to save money on legal costs.

Benefits and help with council tax when you separate

You might be able to get help with your living costs when you separate from your partner. Find out if you have a right to benefits or can get more.

Dividing up money and belongings when you separate

If you and your partner separate, you need to decide how to divide your home and your pension. You also need to divide possessions and money in bank accounts.

UAT (Release)