Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

When the NHS can pay for ongoing care

This advice applies to England

If you have a serious physical or mental health condition and you need ongoing care, the NHS may be responsible for providing it free of charge.

This is known as NHS continuing healthcare, and can include a place in a care home or a care package to help you continue living in your home.

Even if you are not eligible for NHS continuing healthcare, you may still be able to get some help with your nursing care free of charge. This is known as NHS-funded nursing care.

You can find information about NHS continuing care on the Which? Later Life Care website.

Beacon has a team of advisers who can help you with the assessment and application process. You can find out how to contact them on the Beacon website.

You can also find out about NHS continuing care and what to do if you have been turned down on the Alzheimer's Society website.

You can also find further information about the process used to determine whether somebody is eligible for care funded entirely by the NHS on the GOV.UK website at

Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?

Please tell us more about why our advice didn't help.

Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.

Additional feedback

UAT (Release)