Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Students in private rented accommodation

Many students rent accommodation from private landlords which they find independently or through a letting agent. If you're planning to rent a house, flat or room, make sure you understand what's involved.

These pages provide information and advice on renting accommodation from a private landlord whether you're living on your own or sharing with friends.

Different ways to rent privately

Explains the types of housing available for students to rent privately, covering private flats and houses, privately-owned halls of residence and renting a room in your landlord's home.

Using a letting agent

Explains the pros and cons of using a letting agency to find student housing. Covers choosing a letting agent, fees and deposits.

Using a guarantor

Explains the responsibilities of someone who acts as a guarantor for rent, for a student renting housing privately.


Explains how to protect a deposit paid as security in private rented student housing. Covers making an inventory, deductions at the end of a tenancy and withholding rent.

Sharing accommodation

Explains how the rights and responsibilities of students sharing accommodation vary, according to the type of tenancy agreement they have (whether they are joint tenants, sole tenants or lodgers).

Living in a house in multiple occupation (HMO)

Explains what is meant by a house in multiple occupation (HMO) and extra responsibilities a landlord must meet, when renting an HMO to students.

Problems with repairs

Explains the responsibilities of student tenants and their landlords, to keep their housing safe and in good repair. Covers structural repairs, plumbing, gas and electrical safety and action to take if the landlord fails to carry out repairs.

Council tax

Explains the rules about students and council tax. Covers proving you are exempt, sharing accommodation with people who aren't students, time off between courses and problems affecting postgraduate students.

Unacceptable behaviour by your landlord

Explains the rules about 'quiet enjoyment' of a home and what student tenants can do about interference or harassment by their landlord.

Ending your agreement in private rented housing

Explains how to end a tenancy or licence agreement correctly when living in privately-rented student housing. Covers different types of tenancy, giving notice and getting your deposit back.

UAT (Release)