Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Step four: Returning the claim form and paying court fees

This advice applies to England

To take court action about a consumer problem, you fill in a claim form N1A. You can fill in the form on paper or online.

This page tells you what to do once you've completed the form.

Where to return the claim form

Paper form

When you've filled out a paper N1 form, you need to send it to the following address:

County Court Money Claims Centre
PO Box 527
M5 0BY

Tel: 0300 123 1372 (Mon to Fri: 8.30am to 5pm)


Make sure that you keep a copy for your records. The case will be looked at and then sent on to your local court, or sometimes to the trader's local court to be heard.

If you're having trouble filling out the form, a CAB adviser will be able to help you complete the paperwork if you need it.

Online claims

If you filled in the claim form online at, send it back electronically. Online claims are dealt with centrally by Northampton County Court. Usually the forms are printed and posted to the trader on the next working day after you send your claim.

Court fees

You’ll need to make sure that you enclose the correct court fee with your claim. The fee you pay is based on how much you’re claiming and how you claim. You can pay by cash, cheque, postal order, debit or credit card.

Remember, if you're returning your claim form online, you can only pay by direct debit or credit card but the fees will be cheaper.

If you’re paying by cheque, make it payable to HM Courts and Tribunal Service.

  • You can find out more about court fees at GOV.UK.

Help with court fees if you're on a low income

If you’re on a low income you may pay reduced fees or none at all. This is known as fee remission. 

You should check if you’re eligible on GOV.UK, then you can apply using either:

What happens when the court receives the claim form

When you return the form, you will be given a Notice of Issue (N205) which shows the number of the case. You should quote this number on all documents and letters you send to the court, and you should take the Notice of Issue with you whenever you go to court about the case.

Telling the trader about the claim

If you apply using a paper form, the court will usually post the claim form to the trader. This is known as serving the claim form. If the claim form is returned to the court undelivered, the court will tell you. It is then up to you to deliver it.

If the form is sent to the trader, it will be treated as having been served, even if the company does not receive it.

The court will tell you when the claim form has been served.

If you applied online, the claim will be issued within two working days from the date you submit the claim, and you’ll be posted a notice confirming the issue date which you can also check online. The claim is served five calendar days after the claim has been issued.  After this it’s up to you to check the progress of your claim – the court won’t contact you.

Next steps

Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?

Please tell us more about why our advice didn't help.

Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.

UAT (Release)