Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Get advice

This advice applies to Scotland

You can get free, impartial, confidential advice on any topic from the Citizens Advice Service in a number of ways. Search for your local Citizens Advice Bureau here

Speak to someone face-to-face at your local Citizens Advice Bureau

Search for your local Citizens Advice Bureau here

Citizens Advice Bureaux are free, confidential, impartial and independent.

We can help you resolve your problems with debt, benefits, employment, housing, discrimination, and many more issues. It is available to everyone.

Please tell us about any language or access requirements you have and we will do our best to accommodate them.

See what to bring to your Citizens Advice Bureau to help you get the most from your visit.

Phone for advice about any topic

Call Citizens Advice Direct on 0808 800 9060 for advice about any issue. 

The service is available:

Monday - Friday 9am-6pm

This number is free from a landline and most, but not all, mobiles. Please check with your service provider.

You may also be able to phone your local Citizens Advice Bureau to speak to an adviser directly. Find contact details for your local bureau here

Email for advice about any topic

Advice by email is available from many Citizens Advice Bureaux. Search for your local bureau and check what services they provide.

Email advice is also available from Citizens Advice Direct via their website at


Citizens Advice Direct offers a Livechat facility from their website at

You will be asked to confirm that you are happy to provide your contact details, including an email address. This information is anonymised for internal use. 

Get advice about a consumer problem

If you have a consumer problem, you can get help from the Citizens Advice consumer service:

  • phone the consumer helpline on 03454 04 05 06 to get immediate advice, or
  • use an online form, or
  • write to us.

Consumer service helpline

Citizens Advice consumer helpline: 03454 04 05 06
Textphone: 18001 03454 04 05 06
Monday - Friday 9am to 5pm
To contact a Welsh-speaking adviser: 03454 04 05 05
Textphone to contact a Welsh-speaking adviser: 18001 03454 04 05 05
Closed on bank holidays

Find out more about call charges on GOV.UK.

An adviser will answer your call as soon as possible, usually within a few minutes. Once you're speaking to an adviser your call should take an average of 8 to 10 minutes.

Get in touch using an online form

Links to the online forms are here

Write to the consumer service

Citizens Advice consumer service
2nd Floor, Fairfax House
Merrion Street

Include your contact details and photocopies of any relevant evidence like contracts. 

Get advice about NHS complaints in Scotland

You can call the Patient Advice and Support Service (PASS) for advice and support on 0800 917 2127.

Lines are open Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm.

You can find more information about PASS on the website at You can also access webchat from this website. 

Get specialist advice for members of the armed services

The Armed Services Advice Project (ASAP) provides dedicated information, advice and support to members of the Armed Forces Community in Scotland.

Get in touch with the Armed Services Advice Project:

  • Call the helpline on 0808 800 1007
  • Ask us to call you. You can use the Get Advice from ASAP form to send us your contact details, and a trained adviser will phone you
  • Visit for more information about the service.

Get specialist advice on pensions

Pension Wise is a free and impartial government service about the different ways you can take money from your pension. The service is for people 50 years old or over with a defined contribution pension.

You can book an appointment to speak to someone over the phone or face to face. 

For more information visit the Pension Wise website or phone 0800 138 3944 (or +44 20 3733 3495 if you’re outside the UK) to book an appointment.

Contact a Citizens Advice Bureau if you are deaf

ContactSCOTLAND offers a free, interpreting service that enables deaf, British Sign Language (BSL) users to contact public sector services in Scotland, including Citizens Advice Bureaux.

A BSL user can video call an interpreter at ContactSCOTLAND directly, who will then speak to the bureau adviser, and act as an intermediary for the deaf person.

More information about how the Video Relay Interpreting Service works, can be found on the Contact SCOTLAND website at

Other organisations that give advice

Here are some other ways of getting advice:

Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?

Please tell us more about why our advice didn't help.

Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.

UAT (Release)