Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Council Tax Reduction - students

This advice applies to Scotland

Most students don't have to pay council tax. For information on who has to pay the council tax, see Council Tax

Most students don't have to pay council tax, but there are a few situations in which a student may be liable to pay. A student who is liable for council tax can't usually get a Council Tax Reduction, but there are some exceptions to this rule. If you are student who has received a council tax bill, you should get advice from your college or student advisory service about whether you are liable, and, if so, whether you can apply for a Council Tax Reduction. There is more information on the CPAG website - Benefits for Students in Scotland Handbook - free online.

If you are a student and you live with someone else who is not a student, for example your partner, they may be able to get a Council Tax Reduction.

If you are a student and you want to apply for a Council Tax Reduction you should consult an experienced adviser, for example, at a Citizens Advice Bureau - where to get advice.

Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?

Please tell us more about why our advice didn't help.

Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.

UAT (Release)