Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Council Tax Reduction - who can apply

This advice applies to Scotland

Coronavirus – council tax reduction

If your income is reduced due to coronavirus, check if you can pay less council tax. You might be able to get a council tax reduction.

Use our check my council tax tool to see if you can get any help with your council tax.

You might be able to get a payment of £130 if you were getting a council tax reduction in April 2021. You might also get it if you don’t have to pay council tax, for example, because you’re living in temporary accommodation.

Find out more about the low income pandemic payment

Also check to see if you can get any other help to pay your bills if you’re struggling because of coronavirus.

If you are part of a couple, only one partner must make an application for a Council Tax Reduction (CTR) on behalf of both of you. The amount of reduction is worked out from your combined income and capital.

Check if one of a couple is in a better position to apply than the other

When applying as a couple, you may be able to get a higher reduction based on the circumstances of one of you being the applicant rather than the other. For example, if one of you has reached the qualifying age for state pension credit but the other hasn't, or if one of you might be eligible for a premium. Find out more about premiums.

It might be complicated to work out which one of you should apply so get help from an experienced adviser, for example, at a Citizens Advice Bureau - where to get advice.

If one of you is a pensioner for the CTR calculations 

If you are part of a couple and only one of you has reached the qualifying age for state pension credit there may be an advantage for your application to be assessed using the pensioner rules. It should be the person who has reached pension credit age who is the CTR applicant.

You are treated as a pensioner for CTR calculations if:

  • you have reached the qualifying age for state pension credit (this may not be your actual age), and
  • neither you, nor your partner is receiving Income Support, income-based Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA), income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) or Universal Credit (UC).

There is more about the qualifying age for state pension credit on the GOV.UK website.

Person isn't able to apply

If someone is unable to apply for CTR themselves, for example because they are in hospital, someone else can apply on their behalf if they have been given powers to manage that person’s affairs by a court. Find out more about managing affairs for someone else.

Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?

Please tell us more about why our advice didn't help.

Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.

UAT (Release)