Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Help with the cost of transport if you're disabled

This advice applies to Scotland

You can apply for a disabled person’s bus pass or railcard if you have a condition that makes it hard to get around. You don’t need to have a physical health problem - people with learning disabilities can apply too. 

Someone else can apply on your behalf, if you need help with the application.

You can to travel for free by bus with a ‘National Entitlement Card’, or get 30% off your train tickets with a railcard. You can also get help travelling to the islands by ferry. 

Your nearest Citizens Advice can help you with the application if you need it. 

Getting a disabled person’s railcard

Find out if you're eligible and how to apply on the National Rail website. If you don’t qualify, you’ll have to pay the full price for your train tickets. You won’t be able to appeal if your application is rejected.

Getting a disabled person’s bus pass

Find out if you are eligible for a disabled person’s bus pass, and a free bus pass for a companion if you can’t travel alone.

If you can’t get a bus pass

You can appeal to your council if your bus pass application was refused. Check your council’s website to find out how to appeal.

You can also visit your nearest Citizens Advice - an adviser will talk to you about your options. 

Ferry travel to islands

If you live in the Western Isles, Orkney or Shetland and have a National Entitlement Card, you can get 2 free return journeys to the Scottish mainland a year. Find out more about free ferry travel on Transport for Scotland.

If you have a National Entitlement Card because you’re blind or partially sighted, you might be able to travel for free every time. Ask your ferry operator to find out.

Other help you can get

If you’re eligible for a bus or rail pass, you might also be able to get:

  • a Blue Badge - to help you or someone who drives you around park more conveniently

If you have a Blue Badge, you may also be entitled to other concessions such as exemption from road tax. 

It’s also worth checking you’re getting all the benefits you’re entitled to - you can find out whether you might be entitled to benefits by using an online benefits tool on the GOV.UK website at

Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?

Please tell us more about why our advice didn't help.

Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.

UAT (Release)