Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Check if your previous energy supplier owes you money

This advice applies to Scotland

When you switch energy supplier or move house, your supplier should send you a final bill. The bill should tell you if there’s credit on your account which they owe you, or if you owe anything to your supplier.

Credit is the money you’ve paid to them in advance for energy you didn’t eventually use.

If your energy supplier goes bust

If your account is in credit your money is protected, unless you’re a small business customer. Your new supplier will tell you how you’ll be paid back. 

Read our advice about what to do if your energy supplier goes bust.

If you haven’t got your final bill

You should get your final bill from your supplier within 6 weeks. If you haven’t got yours, contact them to ask for it so you can see if you’re owed money.

If it takes longer than 6 weeks to get the bill, you’ll automatically get £30 in compensation from them. If the compensation isn’t paid within 10 working days, they’ll pay you another £30.

Find out if your previous supplier owes you money

If you don’t have your final bill, you can still find out if your old supplier owes you money. You can either call them or contact them through their website.

You should have your old account number ready. If you can’t find it on an old bill, call the supplier - you’ll need your old address. They should be able to locate your account and tell you if you’re owed a refund.

If you can’t remember who your supplier was:

  • check old bank statements
  • ask your current supplier to check the UK energy supplier database
  • speak with your former landlord or flatmates, if you were renting

Claim money your previous supplier owes you

If you’ve been told you’re owed money, you can ask for it on the phone, online or by post. Ask your previous supplier for details.

They must refund money left on your account no matter how long ago the account was closed.

They have to pay back anything they owe you within 10 working days of sending your final bill. If they don’t, they’ll owe you an extra £30 in compensation. If the compensation isn’t paid within 10 working days, they’ll pay you another £30.

You should also ask for any interest they've earned on the money since you closed your account. In principle they should repay you the interest, but they aren’t legally required to.

Problems with your refund

If your supplier hasn't refunded the money it owes you in time, you can contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau or Advice Direct Scotland's energy advice service. 

Advice Direct Scotland energy advice

Freephone: 0808 196 8660

You can also complain to the energy ombudsman, a free and independent organisation that may be able to help.

If the ombudsman takes up your case you’ll get their decision within 6 to 8 weeks. If they decide you’re entitled to a refund, the supplier must refund you within 28 days.

Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?

Please tell us more about why our advice didn't help.

Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.

UAT (Release)