Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Getting extra support from your energy supplier

This advice applies to Scotland

If you find it hard to deal with your energy supply you could get extra help from your energy companies - for example, large print bills or more support during a power cut.

To get extra help, you can apply to be added to your electricity network priority services register. Your electricity network is the company that manages your electricity cables.

Your electricity network will give your details to your energy supplier so they can add you to their priority services register as well.

Check if you're eligible

You'll normally be able to get priority services if your energy companies class you as 'vulnerable'.

You could be classed as vulnerable if you:

  • are disabled or have a long-term health condition
  • are recovering from an injury
  • have mental health problems
  • don't speak or read English well
  • have children under 5 or are pregnant
  • have reached your State Pension age

If your situation isn't listed, you might still be able to sign up for priority services for other reasons - for example, if you're recently bereaved or you've returned to living independently after some time in residential care.

If you claim benefits

You might be able to get a free annual gas safety check if you own your home and claim a ‘means tested benefit’ - for example Universal Credit, ESA or Income Support.

You’ll qualify if you live with a child under 5. Otherwise, you’ll qualify if you’re disabled, chronically ill or have reached state pension age and live:

  • on your own

  • with others who are disabled, chronically ill or of pensionable age

You can check your state pension age on GOV.UK.

Coronavirus - get help from your council or local volunteer groups

If you're eligible for support from your energy provider because you're vulnerable, you might also be able to get help from your council or local volunteer groups. You can ask for help with getting food or medicine.

You can also get emotional support. You can phone the national assistance helpline on 0800 111 4000, Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm.

Fill in the priority services form

You can join the priority services register on the PSR Scotland website. You'll need to give your contact details and answer a few questions about your requirements.

After you apply, your energy companies will tell you if you can get priority services. They might also ask extra questions about what help you need.

If you don’t hear from your energy companies

It's worth calling your energy companies if you don't hear anything within 2 weeks - you can find their phone numbers on their websites.

Ask them:

  • if you're on their priority services register
  • what support they can offer you - give as much detail as you can about your needs

If you move home

Your new home might be covered by a different electricity network. This means you'll need to apply for priority services again.

Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?

Please tell us more about why our advice didn't help.

Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.

UAT (Release)