Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Your energy supplier has gone out of business

This advice applies to Scotland

Your gas or electricity won’t be cut off if your energy supplier has gone out of business.

The gas and electricity regulator Ofgem will arrange for your account to be transferred to a new supplier. There won’t be a break in your supply when it’s transferred over, though the price you pay for your energy might go up.

Your new supplier will contact you and explain how much you’ll be paying for your energy. They’ll also tell you what’s going to happen to your credit balance from your old supplier - it should be refunded or transferred to your new account.

You should read your meter straight away and make a note of the readings, or take a photo. You’ll need to give the readings to your new supplier - it will help make sure that your bills are accurate. Let them know if you can’t read your meter.

Your new supplier could be more expensive that your old one, so you might want to switch to a different supplier - you won’t be charged an exit fee. You can use our price comparison tool to see if you can get a better deal elsewhere.

If you have a prepayment meter

If you’re a prepayment customer, your new supplier should:

  • tell you how you’ll get a replacement key or card
  • provide a new prepayment meter if necessary - they shouldn’t charge you for this

If you’ve been paying off debt through your meter, that should carry on as usual. You should check with your new supplier to make sure, otherwise your debt might build up again.

You should also check where your nearest top-up point is - it might not be the one you’ve been using. Read our advice on problems getting to or topping up your prepayment meter if you you can’t top up anywhere nearby.

You’ll still be able to get emergency credit, though the amount you can get might change. Your new supplier can tell you how much emergency credit will be available.

You can switch to a different supplier if you want a better energy deal - you won’t be charged an exit fee by your new supplier.

Get more help

If you need more help, contact the Citizens Advice consumer helpline.

Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?

Please tell us more about why our advice didn't help.

Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.

UAT (Release)