Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Move your gas or electricity meter

This advice applies to Scotland

You might be able to have your gas or electricity meter moved if you’re:

  • finding it difficult to read or access your meter
  • doing building work

Who can move your meter depends on the work that’s involved. You can’t move the meter yourself - it’s illegal.

Check if your energy supplier can move your meter

Contact your supplier and tell them you want to have your meter moved. They'll tell you if they can do the work. This depends on:

  • where your meter is now
  • how far you want to move it
  • the type of connector if it’s a gas meter
  • why you want to move it

They might not be able to do the work if your meter is outside or you want to move it longer distances, for example to another room. Most suppliers have information on their website about what they can and can’t do.

If they can do all the work then your supplier will give you a price for this. Prices vary, so you should also get prices from other suppliers and compare them.

Only your current supplier can move your meter. This means if you want another supplier to do it you have to switch your supply to them first. This will change your prices for gas and electricity, so check that it’s worth it overall before you switch. See our advice on getting the best deal by switching supplier.

If you’re a priority customer and you need to move your pre-payment meter because you’re finding it hard to read or access it, tell your supplier this - they should move it for free.

You’ll most likely be a priority customer if you’re:

If your energy supplier can’t move your meter

You must contact your local electricity distributor and gas transporter to do the work. They’ll usually charge at least £400 for the work, but it could be over £1,000 - it depends on how much work needs to be done.

You might still need a registered electrician or gas engineer to do other work - for example, preparatory digging, fitting a meter box or reconnecting your supply inside your home. You should get a number of different quotes before choosing a registered electrician or gas engineer to do this.

Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?

Please tell us more about why our advice didn't help.

Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.

UAT (Release)