Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Schemes to provide support to homeowners in danger of losing their homes

This advice applies to Scotland

This information applies to Scotland only

Mortgage rescue schemes

A mortgage rescue scheme is intended to rescue you from losing your home when you have mortgage arrears that you can’t pay off. It allows you to continue to live in your own home as a tenant or part-owner/part-tenant. These schemes may also be known as buy back, sale and rent back or a sale and lease back scheme.

They are not suitable if your financial worries are temporary. When you know that your financial circumstances are going to improve you should negotiate with your lender about your arrears and ongoing mortgage payments.

On this page, we tell you about:-

If you're having serious difficulties paying your mortgage, for example, if you've started getting letters from your mortgage lender threatening court action, you should get help from an experienced debt adviser straight away.

You can get debt advice from a Citizens Advice Bureau - where to get advice.

Who provides mortgage rescue schemes

A scheme could be run by:-

  • a not-for-profit agency such as a social landlord, a local authority or housing association
  • The Scottish Government – the Home Owners' Support Fund.

Issues to look out for before signing up for a mortgage rescue scheme

If you are thinking about signing up to a mortgage rescue scheme you need to understand exactly what you are signing up to and how this will affect your housing and financial situation in the long term. You should find out:-

  • is benefit and debt advice provided and is it independent - you should always get independent financial advice - you should get advice from an experienced adviser, for example, at a Citizens Advice Bureau - where to get advice.
  • who pays for the costs of selling the home - the ‘conveyancing’ costs - this may be hidden as an ‘administration’ fee
  • if you are selling the whole property you must check what type of tenancy you are being offered - you are maybe being offered a tenancy with limited protection from eviction at the end of the tenancy.
    For more information about your rights as a private tenant, see Renting from a private landlord
  • how is the rent being set and what is in the agreement about rent increases
  • what are your responsibilities and obligations as a tenant
  • what are the responsibilities and obligations of the landlord
  • can you buy back the property if your circumstances change
  • is there any insurance cover in case the mortgage rescue scheme develops financial difficulties.

As an owner-occupier, you may be able to get help with your mortgage interest through Income Support, income-based Jobseeker's Allowance, income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) or Pension Credit. However you must remember that if you sell your home but continue to live there and pay rent you may not be eligible for housing benefit to help with your rent.

For more information about Housing Benefit, see Help with your rent - Housing Benefit.

Mortgage rescue schemes run by social landlords

Some local authorities and housing associations may run mortgage rescue schemes independently but most have chosen to work with the Scottish Government in providing mortgage support to home owners as part of the Home Owners' Support Fund and its two schemes.

To find out if there are any mortgage rescue schemes run by local authorities and housing associations, ask your local authority.

If you are thinking about signing up to a mortgage rescue scheme run by a social landlord, you should get advice from an experienced adviser, for example, at a citizens Advice Bureau - where to get advice.

You may also want to think about getting independent financial advice. This will help to make sure you've thought carefully about how signing up to a mortgage rescue scheme will affect your financial and housing situation in the longer term.

Scottish Government Home Owners' Support Fund: Mortgage to Rent and Mortgage to Shared Equity schemes

The Mortgage to Rent and the Mortgage to Shared Equity schemes are the two schemes that make up the Home Owners' Support Fund run by the Scottish Government.

What are the schemes

The Mortgage to Rent (MTR) scheme enables you to stay in your home by selling it to a social landlord. You become a tenant of that landlord. Once the property is sold to the social landlord, the secured debts/loans on your property are paid off and you pay rent to the social landlord. The cost of legally transferring ownership to the social landlord is paid by the scheme not by you. If there is money left over you may be able to keep it.

The Scottish Government is running a pilot scheme called the Mortgage to Rent End of Term (EOT) Cases Pilot. This extends the MTR scheme to homeowners whose interest only or endowment mortgage has come to the end of its term and who are unable to repay the principal sum.

The Mortgage to Shared Equity (MTSE) scheme allows you to carry on being the owner but reduces what you owe for your property because The Scottish Government buys a stake in your property. This means that you can reduce your mortgage. You don’t have to make any payments to the Scottish Government but you do carry on paying a mortgage to your lender for a smaller amount. You retain full responsibility for looking after and insuring the property. You will have to pay the costs of changing the legal documents about ownership of the property and you will have to use a solicitor to do this. When your circumstances improve you can buy back the proportion of your property that the Scottish Government owns.

Who can apply

To be able to apply for these schemes:-

  • you have to get independent advice about your financial situation from a money adviser and your money adviser will submit the application form for you
  • the value of your property must be no more than the local maximum property price. In some cases, the maximum price may be disregarded if the client has particular housing needs as a result of a disability
  • you must not have been able to make full payments on your mortgage for at least three months and have arrears of at least one month. A letter from your lender confirming this must be included with the application form. For the Mortgage to Rent End of Term Cases Pilot, you must be able to show that you are unable to agree with your lender on how to pay back the principal sum
  • you must not normally be eligible for help through other UK Government support schemes. A letter confirming this must be included with the application form. In exceptional cases you might be allowed to apply
  • you must not normally own a property elsewhere. In exceptional circumstances, this condition may be waived
  • you or another joint owner intends to remain in the property and at least one of the owners must have lived in the property for at least 12 months
  • you must not have capital of more than £2,000 if you are under 60 years old, or more than £4,000 if you are 60 years old or older.

As well as these conditions above there are rules about the proportion of the property for which you currently have a mortgage. For example, in the Mortgage to Shared Equity Scheme you must hold 20% or more equity in your home.

If you're interested in either scheme, you can read more of the detail of each scheme in a leaflet available on the Scottish Government website at

Contact for MTR and MTSE schemes

The MTR and MTSE schemes are administered by the Scottish Government. The contact details are as follows:-

Home Owners' Support Fund Team
The Scottish Government
Housing and Regeneration
Atlantic Quay
5th Floor
150 Broomielaw
G2 8LU

Helpline: 0300 244 1093

What happens if you don’t get on to either scheme

If you are unsuccessful in applying to the Mortgage to Rent or Mortgage to Shared Equity schemes you may be in serious danger of losing your home. You must seek help from an experienced adviser for example, at a Citizens Advice Bureau as you may be able to suspend any legal action your lender is taking to repossess your home - where to get advice.

Further help

You may be eligible for benefits that will increase your income. To check you are receiving all the benefits you may be entitled to, you can use an online benefits tool on the GOV.UK website at

For more information and help with cutting down your expenses, see our budgeting tool.

On the Money Advice Service website

The Money Advice Service website has lots of useful information about managing your money, mortgages, insurance and other financial products.

For more information about different types of mortgage, go to:

For more information about the different mortgage deals currently available, including comparison tables, go to:

To work out how much you can afford to pay on a mortgage, including a mortgage calculator, go to:

For more hints and tips about managing your money, go to:

For information about accident, sickness and unemployment insurance, go to:

Independent financial advice

For help in finding an independent financial adviser, contact one of the following organisations:

Independent Financial Promotions (IFAP)


Institute of Financial Planning (IFP)


Personal Finance Society (PFS)


Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?

Please tell us more about why our advice didn't help.

Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.

UAT (Release)