Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Coronavirus - what it means for you

This advice applies to Scotland

There are no limits to the number of people you can meet, but there are still some rules to deal with coronavirus. 

For example, there are rules about:

There are still things you can do to avoid getting coronavirus and stop it spreading. 

The Scottish government advises that you:

Find out more about when you need to isolate on NHS inform.

Help if you can't leave your home

If you're self-isolating and need help, you can call the Scottish government's national assistance helpline on 0800 111 4000, Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm.

You can use the helpline if you don't have help from family, friends or neighbours and you can't access help online.

The helpline will connect you with your local council for support getting:

  • food and medicine
  • social work services
  • emotional support
  • support from local volunteer groups.

Find out more about the help you can get on the Ready Scotland website.

Self-isolating if you're vulnerable 

You might be able to get more help if you’ve been asked to self-isolate by the Test and Protect service and you’re at higher risk, like if you’re:

  • on the shielding list
  • over 70 years old
  • disabled
  • on a low income.

Contact tracers will ask if you want your local council to phone you to arrange help from your local self-isolation assistance service.

You can get help to:

  • get food or medicine
  • apply for a self-isolation grant.

Find out more about getting a self-isolation grant

If you have less money because of coronavirus

If you have less money because of coronavirus, you might be able to:

Going to work

The Scottish government has said you should work from home if you can. 

Check our advice if you're:

If you’ve been self-isolating for more than 7 days, your employer might ask for proof you need to stay off work. You should get an isolation note on the NHS website. Your employer shouldn’t ask to see a note until you’ve been self-isolating for at least 7 days.

If you're self-employed and need financial support

You can find out more about:

You can also call the Scottish government helpline on 0300 303 0660, Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5.30pm.

If you're planning to travel

The rules about travel depend on where you’re travelling from and where you're going.

Travelling within the UK, the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man and Ireland

You can travel to other parts of the UK, the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man and Ireland. But you should check what the local rules are before you travel.

Before you travel to a Scottish island, you should:

  • take a Covid-19 test 3 days before travelling
  • take another test on the day you plan to travel.

Find out how to book a test on the Scottish government website.

Find out more about the travel rules on the Scottish government website.

Travelling abroad

The rules on travelling abroad depend on which country you’re going to. 

Check the Scottish government's guidance on international travel.

If you travel abroad, you should check:

Travel insurance

If you travel to a country that the UK government considers high risk, your insurance policy might not be valid.

Travelling without valid travel insurance is a big risk. For example, you might have to pay all of your medical bills if you get ill or have an accident.

If you need to buy travel insurance or make a claim, check our advice about travel insurance.

If you've booked a holiday

Check what your travel agent, airline or accommodation provider says about your booking. 

If your booking is cancelled because of coronavirus, contact the company you booked with. You have the right to a refund, or you can choose to rebook the holiday for another time.

You can find out more about getting a refund because of coronavirus.

You can also find out what to do if your package holiday is cancelled.

If you need more help, you can get advice from your local Citizens Advice Bureau.

If your visa is ending and you can't leave the UK

If your visa expires before 30 November 2021, you need to follow the coronavirus visa guidance on GOV.UK. You'll need to give evidence of why you can't leave in time.

For example, you might not be able to leave the UK because:

Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?

Please tell us more about why our advice didn't help.

Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.

UAT (Release)