Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Employment issues during flooding

This advice applies to Scotland

What is your employment status?

Your rights at work are determined by your employment status and what your employment contract says. Your employment status may be an employee, a worker or self-employed.

See Contracts of employment for some guidelines on working out your employment status, so you can establish your rights at work. 

An adviser at your local Citizens Advice Bureau can help you to work out your employment status if you aren't sure. 

If your place of work is flooded and you are laid off or put on short term working

Your employer can only lay you off or put you on short-time working if your contract specifically says they can. If it’s not mentioned in your contract, they can’t do it. For more information, see Being laid off or put on short-time working

If your place of work closes down and you are made redundant

If your workplace is flooded and closes down, you may be made redundant. This is a genuine reason for redundancy. 

If you're an employee, certain redundancy rules apply. You should Check if your redundancy is fair and whether you can get redundancy pay. 

If you're an employee and have been working for your employer for at least 2 years by the time you leave, your employer should see if they can offer you a different job. They should look for other jobs in any other places they work or in any other companies they own.

You can spend 4 weeks trying out any new job you're offered, before deciding if you'd rather take your redundancy pay.

If your employer offers you a job in another location but you don’t want to work there, check your options if your employer offers you another job.

See Preparing for after redundancy for information on financial help and how to ensure you get all the money you are entitled to. 

Your rights to take time off work 

If you're an employee, you have the right to take time off for family emergencies, like organising care for a dependent who has been flooded. There is more information about this on the GOV.UK website.

Sickness absence for stress or depression

Flooding of your home is a very stressful and upsetting experience. You may need to take time off work due to stress or other mental health issues.

You should refer to your work's sickness absence policy to understand your rights and responsibilities. 

You may need to be signed off work by your GP if you are off work for a certain time period, usually more than 7 days. 

You should check if you're entitled to statutory sick pay and how to get sick pay

Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?

Please tell us more about why our advice didn't help.

Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.

UAT (Release)