Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Community rights to buy and take over land and buildings

This advice applies to Scotland

In some communities, problems in the environment may be caused by the way land or assets are being used. There is legislation that allows community groups either to buy, rent or take over land or other assets in certain circumstances.

In many circumstances when a community group is exercising the right to buy it must include a willing seller.

Anyone interested in setting up a community group for this purpose can get help from the Community Ownership Support Service. This Scottish Government funded service can also provide advice to the community group once it is set up about how to buy the land or take over assets.

There is a very helpful summary about asset transfer on the Scottish Government website

There is also a helpful Route Map available on the website of the Community Ownership Support Service that explains all the steps involved in a community group applying to transfer assets of a public body.

From 27 June 2018 if a community group identifies land that it thinks has been abandoned, neglected or is causing a detriment to the community it can apply to Scottish Ministers to ask for permission to exercise the right to buy it. It does not require the owner to be willing to sell. An owner will be allowed to object to the sale going through. 

You can get advice from the Community Ownership Support Service if there is a piece of land in the area that you are concerned has been abandoned or neglected or is causing environmental problems. There is more information about the community right to buy, the application form and guidance on the Scottish Government website.

Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?

Please tell us more about why our advice didn't help.

Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.

UAT (Release)