Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Get help with discrimination at work

This advice applies to Scotland

If you’re not sure if your problem is discrimination or you need help taking action, there are organisations that can help.

Before you contact an organisation for help, it’s a good idea to:

  • write down what happened so it’s easier to describe
  • collect documents relating to the problem, for example your contract or your company’s policy on dealing with problems at work
  • any emails or letters that will help you explain what happened, for example a letter from your manager

If you’re a member of a trade union

Contact your local representative or check your trade union’s website for how to get in touch. They’ll help you decide what to do and might be able to come to meetings with your employer to support you.

Contact Citizens Advice

Contact your nearest Citizens Advice - they can help with your discrimination problem and any other problems you have. For example if you were unfairly dismissed you can get advice about money problems you might have if you’re not working.

You might be able to get free legal help as part of your home insurance or from a law centre. Alternatively you might be able to get help with legal costs through legal aid.

Contact Acas

If you can’t get help from Citizens Advice or free legal help, contact Acas. They’re an impartial organisation that aims to help people solve problems at work. They can be helpful if discrimination isn’t your only problem, for example if you’re being discriminated against and also being paid late.

Acas helpline

Telephone: 0300 123 1100
Text relay: 18001 0300 123 1100

Calls usually cost up to 40p a minute from mobiles and up to 10p a minute from landlines. It should be free from your mobile if you have a contract that includes calls to landlines - check with your supplier if you’re not sure.

If you’re not comfortable speaking English, you can say which language you prefer when you call.

Contact the EASS helpline

You can also contact the Equality Advisory and Support Service (EASS) with discrimination problems - they can help you find a way forward but can’t give legal advice.

EASS helpline

Telephone: 0808 800 0082
Text relay: 0808 800 0084
Monday to Friday, 9am to 7pm
Saturday, 10am to 2pm

Calls to these numbers are free.

You can also contact the EASS helpline by filling in an online form or chatting online with an adviser. Check the EASS contact page for how to get in touch.

If you prefer to write a letter, use this address:

EASS Helpline 

Don’t send any documents when you write to them - they’ll ask for anything they need when they reply.

You can contact EASS using British Sign Language (BSL) - check how to use the BSL service.

If you’re an adviser

The Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) runs EHRC Adviser Support, which is a helpline for advisers and solicitors.

Check how to contact EHRC Adviser Support.

Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?

Please tell us more about why our advice didn't help.

Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.

UAT (Release)