Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Disrepair - what are your options if you are a social housing tenant?

This section highlights what tenants in social housing need to think about if their landlord doesn't deal with disrepair. It also covers the options open to them if they want to take further action.

What are your options if you are a social housing tenant?

What social housing landlords are, the standards they have to meet and your options if they don't deal with disrepair.

How to report repairs

Reporting housing repairs to the landlord and what to do if the landlord does not carry out the repairs.

Complaining about disrepair if you are a social housing tenant

Complaining about disrepair to your social housing landlord, councillor or an Ombudsman and what to include in your complaint.

What are the landlord's responsibilities?

Landlord's responsibilities under the tenancy agreement and duty to carry out repairs.

What are the tenant's responsibilities?

Responsibilities of a tenant to keep a home in a good state of repair.

Using the right to repair scheme

How the right to repair scheme works and the types of repairs it covers.

Applying for a transfer or mutual exchange

How a social housing tenant can apply for a transfer or mutual exchange if you are unhappy about the condition of your home.

Offsetting rent arrears because of disrepair

How rent arrears for social housing tenants can be offset against the damages for disrepair if your landlord is taking possession proceedings against you because of rent arrears.

Withholding rent because of disrepair

The procedure that social housing tenants must follow if you decide to use your rent to pay for repairs and the risks of withholding rent when the landlord has not carried out repairs.

Taking court action because of disrepair

Taking court action against your social housing landlord because they have not carried out repairs, the evidence you will need, and what the court has the power to.

UAT (Release)