Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Check if your previous energy supplier owes you money

This advice applies to England

When you switch energy suppliers or move house, your supplier should refund any credit remaining on your account. This is money you’ve paid to them in advance for energy you didn’t eventually use.

When you close your account the supplier must send you a closing statement telling you if there’s credit on your account, or if you owe anything to them. Some suppliers won’t always do this, so it’s worth contacting them to see if you’re owed money.

Find out if your previous supplier owes you money

To find out if your previous supplier owes you money you can either call them or contact them through their website.

You should have your old account number ready. If you can’t find it on an old bill, call your previous supplier - you’ll need your old address. They should be able to locate your account and tell you if you’re owed a refund.

If you can’t remember who your supplier was:

  • check old bank statements
  • ask your current supplier to check the UK energy supplier database
  • speak with your former landlord or flatmates, if you were renting

Claim money your previous supplier owes you

If you’ve been told you’re owed money, you can ask for it on the phone, online or by post. Ask your previous supplier for details.

They must refund money left on your account no matter how long ago the account was closed.

You should also ask for any interest they've earned on the money since you closed your account. In principle they should repay you the interest, but they aren’t legally required to.

Problems with your refund

Your supplier must refund any money they owe you within 8 weeks of your request. If they haven’t you can complain to the energy ombudsman, a free and independent organisation that may be able to help.

If the ombudsman takes up your case you’ll get their decision within 6 to 8 weeks. If they decide you’re entitled to a refund, the supplier must refund you within 28 days.

Further help

The Citizens Advice consumer helpline can give you advice on any issues you might have with claiming credit back from a supplier.

Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?

Please tell us more about why our advice didn't help.

Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.

UAT (Release)