Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Finding a trustworthy trader

This advice applies to England

This page gives you tips on how to find a trustworthy trader.

Finding a trader

  • find a trader through word of mouth if you can or from a recommendation through a website that rates traders
  • use the TrustMark scheme to find a trader in your area. TrustMark is the Government endorsed quality mark that signposts people to reputable local traders in the repair, maintenance and improvement sectors. All firms' technical skills have been independently checked through on-site inspections to ensure a high quality of workmanship and trading practices. 
  • find a trader in the Trading Standards Institute Consumer Codes Approval Scheme (CCAS). Traders in this scheme display the TSI approved code logo. When you see the logo it means that the trader has agreed to provide good standards of service including clear information before a contract is signed, a clear complaints procedure and access to alternative dispute resolution (ADR) scheme for settling out of court
  • find a trader through the Trading Standards Buy with Confidence scheme, if it exists in your area
  • find a trader through the Local Authority Assured Trader Scheme Network. This links together schemes run by different local authorities to attract small businesses
  • find a trader who is a member of a trade association. Trade associations have codes of practice and schemes that can help resolve problems. If a trader says they're a member of a trade association, you should check this is true
  • if you're doing major structural building work, you may need planning permission or have to meet building regulations. For example, you may need the help of a surveyor, architect or quantity surveyor, to draw up plans to submit to the local authority. You can get advice on employing specialists from the Chartered Surveyor’s Voluntary Scheme run by the Royal Institute for Chartered Surveyors, or from other organisations representing surveyors and architects
  • the Green Deal allows you to get energy efficiency improvements to your property without having to pay up front. Find out more about the Green Deal on GOV.UK.
  • if you’re looking for a digital installation or service engineer you can search for members of the Registered Digital Institute on their getmedigital website, at For example, you can find engineers to install a satellite dish or cable or fix your TV, to get an alarm fitted or broadband fixed, or to get renewable energy services.

Next steps

Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?

Please tell us more about why our advice didn't help.

Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.

UAT (Release)