Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Housing options for older people

This advice applies to Scotland

This information applies to Scotland only

Many people find that they start to think more about where they live as they grow older. You may be happy staying where you are, but could do with some support to make life easier. Do you need repairs or adaptations to your home to be able to carry on living there comfortably? Or perhaps you are thinking about moving somewhere smaller or nearer to family and friends. Would moving in with your family be a good idea? What about sheltered housing? Would a care home be right for you?

In Scotland you can find some information about your housing options at the Age Scotland website or by phoning the Age Scotland Helpline on freephone 0800 12 44 222 Monday - Friday 9am - 5pm.

Care Information Scotland also provides information for older people and their carers living in Scotland about options for receiving care at home, supported housing and care homes:

Care Information Scotland
Helpline: 0800 011 3200 (local rate) (every day 8.00am - 10.00pm)

People aged over 55 years and raising money from a home

Equity release is a way of using the value of your home to raise money. This could be in the form of an additional income, a cash lump sum, or both.

You can find out more about equity release on the Money Advice Service website. Money Advice Service is an independent service, set up by government to help people make the most of their money.

The Money Advice Service gives you information on how the different types of equity release scheme work and what you should expect from firms that sell them.

More on equity release at

Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?

Please tell us more about why our advice didn't help.

Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.

UAT (Release)